There's absolutely no better combination than broccoli and cheese! This Broccoli Cheddar Quiche is the perfect pie to serve for your next brunch, make-ahead lunch or dinner. With a creamy quiche filling, stuffed with broccoli and melty cheddar, this broccoli pie aims to please and can make a broccoli lover out of just about anybody. Make it in a homemade crust, a store-bought crust or even turn it into a crustless broccoli quiche!
Broccoli Quiche Recipe
It seems as if it is a prerequisite that if you are a kid, you must hate broccoli. It gets a bad rep because it's green and is a little funny smelling when it's cooking. Then magically, once you turn into an adult broccoli becomes beloved! And most definitely put some cheese in the mix with it, especially sharp cheddar, and it is the most magical thing. This quiche has a creamy egg based custard filling with PLENTY of broccoli and cheddar baked up in my absolutely favorite Spelt Pie Crust. It is made up of uncomplicated ingredients that will be a big hit to serve at your next weekend brunch, for a make-ahead breakfast or for a light lunch or dinner. And bonus: it freezes well!
Ingredients for Broccoli Quiche
- Broccoli florets
- Dijon mustard
- Smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Sharp cheddar cheese
Pie Crust Options
Because this is already a somewhat healthy and hearty pie, I loved pairing it with a whole grain Spelt Pie Crust. Hands down it is my favorite crust on this website to date. Just make sure to leave out the sugar in the recipe because it taste better without it for this recipe.
Additionally, you can bake this in a basic butter Gluten Free Pie Crust.
This quiche will work well in a store-bought crust as well. If you choose this option, make sure to par-bake it as you would a homemade pastry, but be careful not to burn the crust edges.
Can you Make it a Crustless Broccoli Quiche?
Absolutely! This broccoli quiche bakes up perfectly without a crust. Whenever I start testing any quiche recipe I always make it first without a crust.
To make it without a crust: grease a 9" pie plate (or even an 8" square baking dish) and pour in the filling just like you would if it had a crust. Bake it at the same temperature in the middle rack. Start checking for doneness around 30 minutes. The pie should be mostly puffy throughout and shouldn't jiggly anymore.
STORAGE AND FREEZING INFORMATION
Nothing beats a fresh quiche! When made properly, it’s creamy, and light and abundant with flavor. However, the good thing about quiche is that it also keeps really well; you can easily make this pie ahead of time by a day or two, and then reheat before serving. Really in a pinch for time? Eat it cold! Easy and still so delicious.
This broccoli quiche also freezes well! Cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap twice, then storing in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready for an easy go-to meal, defrost completely in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then reheat at 350º until heated through.
If you like this savory pie, check out these others:
- Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onion and Feta Pie
- Corn, Hot Pepper and Feta Pie
- Ricotta and Pepperoni Pie
- Beef Taco Pie with Masa Crust
This Cheddar Broccoli Quiche is made up of a handful of simple ingredients and is easy to put together for your next brunch, make-ahead lunch or dinner. You can make it in homemade pie pastry, a store-bought crust or as a crustless quiche. The crust will need to be blind baked to ensure a crisp bottom.
- 1–9″ single spelt pie crust (omit the sugar)
- 16 ounces broccoli (about 3-4 cups), cut into small florets
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup (225 ml) half-and-half or whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup (50g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Roll out the pie dough to an 11″ circle and line a 9” pie plate, crimp the edges as desired. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork. Place the pie in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once chilled, line the pie dough with a parchment round piece of paper and then add pie weights (or dry rice or beans or lentils), making sure to push pie weights to the edges.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and carefully remove the parchment and pie weights. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to use
Make and Bake Filling:
- Lower the heat to 375º.
- Heat 1-2 cups water in a medium pot and add in a steamer basket. Put the broccoli inside and steam, until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer broccoli to a colander, rinse with cool water, and drain. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, dijon, half-and-half, salt, paprika and pepper together in a large bowl. Fold in the steamed broccoli and cheese. Pour the filling into the parbaked crust and bake at 375ºF for 45-55 minutes, until the filling is set and the top of the quiche is puffy nearly throughout. If necessary, cover the edge of the crust with foil to prevent from burning.
- Let cool at least 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Check the body of the post for information on how to make this a crustless broccoli quiche.
Keywords: Broccoli Cheddar Quiche, Broccoli Quiche, Crustless Broccoli Quiche
Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. Everyday Pie is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you.