This savory Zucchini Pie with Goat Cheese and Herbs is the perfect way to use up all of that fresh summer zucchini. This pie makes a great light dinner when paired with a salad, the perfect brunch addition, or an appetizer to serve at a party.
Savory Zucchini Pie with Goat Cheese and Herbs
If you are like me, you are looking for ALL the ways to use up zucchini at this time of year! Zucchini is a neutral flavor that basically tastes like whatever it is cooked or baked with. This pie is paired with tons of summer herbs and goat cheese. You can use whatever mix of herbs you like, and there are some recommendations below. This pie would be perfect served for a light dinner paired with a salad, or would be a great addition to a brunch table.
Zucchini Pie Ingredients
- zucchini or summer squash
- chili flakes (optional)
- fresh herbs
- fresh crumbled goat cheese
Shredded Zucchini Tips
There are two easy ways to shred zucchini. You can do it using the biggest holes on a box grater. Or you can do it with the grating attachment on a food processor. Make sure to wash the zucchini well first.
If you are using the box grater cut off one end of the zucchini. Keep the other end attached and use as a “handle” to grate it safely using a box grater. Grate into a thin tea towel or cheesecloth over a strainer. After you’ve grated the zucchini squeeze it to release some of the moisture.
If you are using the shredding disk cut off both ends of the zucchini. Cut the zucchini into 2 inch pieces and place in the shoot to grate. Once you’ve grated place the zucchini into a thin tea towel or cheesecloth over a strainer. Squeeze it to release some of the moisture.
What type of herbs to use
The best part about this zucchini pie is that you can add in whatever herbs you love or have on hand! You can mix and match. Both zucchini and goat cheese offer a pretty neutral flavor base with which you can add different herbs to really make it pop. Here are some suggested herbs to use:
- green onions
- green garlic / garlic scapes
Zucchini PIE CRUST OPTIONS
The pie is perfect baked in a classic butter pie crust (or made gluten-free) or my favorite choice a cream cheese butter crust made in a food processor. Want to make it even easier? Go ahead and use a store-bought pie crust, just make sure you parbake the crust as instructed.
This pie falls into the category of custard pie. A custard pie uses milk or cream and eggs to form the base of a filling. This custard base has just three eggs so the filling won’t get as puffy as one with a lot of eggs. All custard pies set up fully as they cool, but because this is a savory pie you’ll want to eat it hot. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it to give it a little time to settle. If you cut it right away and it may be slightly runny.
Custard pies are baked at a lower temperature so they don’t overcook the eggs. Because of this you’ll need to par-bake your pie crust before you make the filling to prevent any soggy pastry bottoms.
How to Par-bake a Pie Crust
Because the zucchini filling is baked at a lower temperature you’ll want to partially cook your pie crust.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF and place the rack in the lower middle part of the oven.
- Place your pastry inside of your pie dish. Take a fork and dock the pie crust all over so that the steam escapes during baking.
- Then cut out a parchment paper circle and press it in the pie dish taking care to push it into the edges of the pastry.
- Add pie weights to the parchment (or dry rice or beans or lentils), making sure to push pie weights to the edges.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and remove the parchment and pie weights. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
WANT TO MAKE THIS WITHOUT A CRUST?
This filling is delicious all on its own! If you wanted you could make this zucchini pie without a crust, but you’ll have to start calling it a casserole instead of a pie! You can make it in a roughly 8″ dish. Either a greased round or square baking dish should work. Follow all the directions for making the zucchini filling and baking the pie. Serve alongside a protein or a side salad!
Other savory pie recipes you may like:
- Corn, Hot Pepper and Feta Pie
- Ricotta and Pepperoni Pie
- Beef Taco Pie with Masa Crust
- Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onion and Feta Pie
MAKE SURE TO COMMENT BELOW AND TAG @EVERYDAYPIE ON INSTAGRAM IF YOU MADE THIS SAVORY ZUCCHINI PIE OR IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS! HAPPY BAKING!Print
This Zucchini Pie with Goat Cheese and Herbs is the best way to use up zucchini! It’s the perfect brunch or dinner pie. Make it in homemade pie crust, store-bought pie crust or make it crustless by baking it as a casserole in an 8-9″ square or round baking dish!
- 1 pie dough from classic butter, gluten free, or cream cheese pie dough
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini or summer squash (about 16 ounces), shredded, squeezed of excessive moisture
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
- Pinch chili flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) fresh crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prepare pastry: Line a 9” pie dish fitted with pastry with a parchment round piece of paper and then add pie weights (or dry rice or beans or lentils), making sure to push pie weights to the edges. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and remove the parchment and pie weights. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to use. Lower the heat to 375º.
- Meanwhile assemble zucchini filling: In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Fold in the squeezed zucchini, lemon juice and zest, chili flakes, herbs and goat cheese.
- Pour the filling into the parbaked crust and bake at 375ºF for 40-45 minutes, until the filling is set. If necessary, cover the edge of the crust with foil to prevent from burning. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Want to make this simple? Go ahead and use a store-bought pie crust, just make sure you par-bake the crust as instructed.
- Want to make it crustless? You can make it as a casserole in a roughly 8″ dish. Either a round or square baking dish should work. Follow all the directions for baking the filling. Serve alongside a protein or a side salad!
Keywords: zucchini pie, savory summer pie