This No-Bake Cannoli Pie comes together super quick and is flavored with all the notes of the classic Italian dessert, minus all of the hard work of actually making it! The filling has mascarpone and ricotta and it is made in a simple vanilla cookie and pistachio crust. Top it with a few mini chocolate chips for cannoli pie perfection!
For Crumb Crust:
- 6 ounces (about 5 ½ cups or 170 grams) vanilla wafer cookies
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) shelled and unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (90 grams) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) heavy cream, cold
- 8 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (227 grams) ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Mini chocolate chips
- Additional powdered sugar
Prepare Pie Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place vanilla wafers, pistachios and sugar in a food processor and process until finely ground, with just a few larger pieces of pistachios remaining.
- Melt butter in a medium pot. Add crumbs to the pot and mix together until completely combined.
- Pour the crumbs into the pie plate and start pressing the ingredients up the sides of the pie plate to form the edges first. Once the edges are formed work the crumbs down to evenly distribute into the bottom of the pie plate and pack it down into an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Or you can freeze for 30 minutes for a no-bake pie option.
Make the Filling:
- With an electric mixer using the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the mascarpone and the sugar in the bowl for the electric mixer. Whip on medium speed until completely smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway though. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add ricotta and orange zest. Mix together until just fully combined.
- Add ⅓ of the whipped cream to the ricotta mixture and fold it in with a rubber spatula by hand until it is completely combined.
- Add the remaining whipped cream to the bowl and gently fold it in, being careful not to deflate it.
- Pour the filling in the crust and smooth over the top.
- Place in the refrigerator to set up. It needs at least 4 hours of chilling time, but preferably overnight. Or place in the freezer to set up.
- This pie should be served very chilled.
- It can be made up to 2 days ahead of time if stored in the refrigerator, or up to 1 month if frozen. Do not top it with the garnishes until ready to serve.
- If serving from the refrigerator, I recommend placing the pie in the freezer for 30 – 60 minutes before serving, though it’s not essential. It just makes slicing it very neat and clean, like shown in these photos.
- To serve it from completely frozen, let the pie sit at room temperature until it’s easy to cut into it, about 15-30 minutes, depending on how warm your kitchen is.
Keywords: Cannoli Pie