Strawberries and rhubarb play so well together, especially when tucked underneath a thick layer of buttery crisp topping; it is truly a match made in dessert heaven. Serve this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect Spring dessert.
A good, quality crisp should have a thick and juicy fruit filling, with a wonderfully buttery crisp topping--that's actually crisp. An even better one will have an extra thick layer of crisp topping and that juicy fruit filling should include strawberry and rhubarb; that's exactly what this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is. It is the best dessert to make in that magical period of time in late spring when rhubarb season overlaps with strawberry season. With just enough tart and just enough sweetness, this is a must-make spring recipe to please everyone.
Looking for a pie version? Check out this Ginger Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Ingredients
Here is an overview of the ingredients used in this crisp. Keep scrolling down for the full recipe.
- rolled oats
- orange juice +zest
- granulated sugar + brown sugar
- unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla extract
- cornstarch + baking powder
Steps to Make It
If you ask me, a crisp is nothing more than a crustless pie with a streusel topping. Fortunately, that translates into being a very user-friendly, easy recipe!
To make this:
- Combine the fruit mixture with the sugars and thickener.
- Mix together the streusel topping. This recipe uses melted butter which results in a very crisp streusel topping (it is a crisp, after all!).
- Transfer the fruit to a baking dish and sprinkle the crisp topping over it.
How to Serve It
There is truly only one way to serve this strawberry rhubarb crisp: slightly warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed with this!
When the crisp is pulled from the oven and very hot, the strawberry rhubarb mixture will still be very liquidy. As it cools, it will thicken up. You'll want to dive right in, but let it rest for a little bit.
This crisp is best eaten on the day it is made. If there are leftovers, you can keep them covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days. Reheat it in the oven, at 350ºF, if desired.
Watch the Video Here:
More Strawberry Recipes:
- Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Ginger Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Strawberry Cream Pie
- Strawberry and Cherry Slab Pie
I am so honored when you make a recipe from my site! If you make this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, please leave a comment and a star rating with your experience! If you have any questions about this recipe, feel free to comment here, too!Print
A match made in heaven, strawberries and rhubarb play so well together, especially when tucked underneath a thick layer of buttery crisp topping. Serve this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect Spring dessert.
For the Strawberry Rhubarb Filling:
- 3-4 cups (16 ounces) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3-4 cups (16 ounces) rhubarb, cleaned of any leaves and sliced into 1” to ½” pieces
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoons orange zest
For the Crisp Topping:
- 1-¼ cup (150 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (80 grams) rolled oats
- ¾ cup (150 grams) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 12 tablespoons (155 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix together strawberries, rhubarb, granulated sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl until well combined. Mix in orange juice and zest and transfer mixture to a 9” baking dish (or similar size).
- Make the crumb topping: Add flour, oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl and mix together. Pour over melted butter and mix until fully combined.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumb topping on the strawberry mixture.
- Bake on the middle rack for 50-55 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling throughout and the crisp topping is evenly browned.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream
Keywords: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. Everyday Pie is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you.