Comfort food at it’s finest, this Banana Cream Pie is everything you want it to be. Homemade vanilla pudding is studded with fresh banana, topped with silky whipped cream and tucked inside of a vanilla wafer and walnut crust. It turns this pie into a cross between banana cream pie and banana pudding, and it’s exactly what you should be eating right now.
- Vanilla Wafer Crust, prepared
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (30 grams) cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups (680 grams) whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) butter
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
For Stabilized Whipped Cream:
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup (230 grams) heavy cream
- Prepare the pie crust following these instructions. Make sure to par-bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Make the pudding: Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in yolks, eggs and milk until fully combined. Turn on the heat to medium and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, and occasionally taking a spatula and scraping up any thickened pudding in the edges of the pan. Cook until the pudding has completely thickened and large bubbles are forming and popping, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; immediately pour through a fine mesh strainer into bowl, using a spatula to push all the pudding out while leaving behind any bits of cooked egg. Whisk in the butter and the extract until fully combined. Mix the sliced bananas into the pudding and pour the pudding into the prepared pie crust and smooth over the top. Let cool at room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Make the whipped cream: Add the softened cream cheese to the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the whip attachment, briefly beat the cream cheese until it has lightened. Add the vanilla extract and cream and whip until medium soft peaks have formed, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Place whipped cream on top of the pie. Using an offset spatula spread the cream evenly on top of the pie, or as desired. Garnish the pie with additional banana pieces.
- Serve immediately or keep chilled until ready to serve, up to 1 day.
- There is no sugar added to the whipped cream because this pie is already pretty sweet, and the unsweetened cream is just right here! Want to skip the stabilized whipped cream, and just make traditional whipped cream, check out this recipe.
Keywords: Banana Cream Pie