This warmly Spiced Blackberry Pie is simple yet so flavorful. Delicious blackberries are tucked inside a flaky crust and spiced just right with cinnamon, allspice, ginger and a touch of cloves. You can use frozen or fresh blackberries. And like all fruit pie, if you wanted you could assemble this pie completely and store in the freezer before baking it off. Check out the directions on how to do this inside of the post.
- 1 batch Pie Pastry (or GF Pie Pastry)
- 5 cups (20 ounces) blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (40 grams) all purpose flour (or ¼ cup cornstarch for gluten free)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Pinch ginger
- Pinch cloves
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Eggwash (1 egg whisked with splash of water) for pie crust
- Coarse sugar, for pie crust
- Prepare pie dough, preferably a day ahead.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a large bowl add the blackberries, sugar, flour, spices and mix to combine until no white remains. Add the orange juice and mix. Let sit to macerate for 10 minutes.
- Roll out two disks of pie dough. Line a 9″ pie plate with dough and and place the blackberry pie filling inside of it. Gently press down on the filling to eliminate any gaps between the fruit.
- You can top the pie with a lattice, or top with the rolled out pie dough with a few slits or small shapes stamped out of it to let steam escape.
- Brush the crust with an egg-wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake on the middle lower rack for 20 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400ºF. If the crust is browning, cover the outer edges with aluminum foil, leaving the middle of the crust exposed. Bake for another 35-40 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and the temperature of the middle of the pie reaches above 200ºF.
- Let the pie cool about at least an hour, to let the juices set up.
- You can use frozen or fresh blackberries. If using frozen, let the berries macerate for a few minutes longer, until they are starting to soften.
- Store the pie at room temperature, covered for up to 1 day. If storing longer, store covered in the refrigerator.
Keywords: blackberry pie