This vegetarian Lentil Pot Pie features hearty lentils, mushrooms and sweet potatoes in an umami-packed gravy, all baked inside of a buttery double pastry.
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1–½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or potato starch
- 1 large sweet potato (12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Eggwash (1 egg whisked together with 2 teaspoons of water)
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water over mushrooms and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain, and set aside the liquid. Roughly chop up the drained mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the lentils to a medium pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 25 minutes or until just tender. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium low. Cook the onion and celery and cook until very softened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the salt, pepper, garlic, flour, dried sage, thyme, tomato paste and soy sauce and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add in reserved mushroom liquid, vegetable broth and sweet potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and apple cider vinegar, and then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer the filling to a shallow container and let cool completely, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Roll out one pie dough to a 12″ circle. Fit pastry in a 9” pie plate, making sure to press the pastry into the sides and the bottom.
- Place the lentil filling inside of the pie crust and smooth over the top.
- Roll out the top crust to a roughly 10″ circle and place on top of the filling. Seal the edges of the pie dough together and crimp as desired. Pierce a few steam holes in the center of the pie, and brush the top with an eggwash.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the lower rack for 40-45 minutes, until the crust is light golden brown and the filling is completely heated through (reaching a temperature above 170ºF).
- See note in body of post for replacing the dried mushrooms with fresh.
- To create decorative cut-outs on your top pie crust, use a small cookie cutter to stamp them out from the top crust before placing on top of the pie.
- Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions: As with most pies, there are a few steps you need to complete to get to the finished pie. A lot of these components can be broken down into steps and done ahead of time. Check out the body of the post for more information about all the make ahead steps. Additionally, this entire pie can be assembled and then frozen before being ready to bake. You can bake it straight from frozen, following the instructions in the body of the post.
Keywords: Lentil Pot Pie