This Ginger Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is best dessert to make in the magical period of time in late spring when rhubarb season overlaps with strawberry season. This pie is perfectly balanced with the sweetness from the strawberries, the tartness from the rhubarb and the subtle nuance from the ginger and orange.
- 1 batch basic pie dough or gluten free pie dough
- 3 cups (16 ounces) strawberries, hulled and sliced about 1/2" thick
- 3 cups (16 ounces) rhubarb, cleaned of any leaves and sliced into 1/4" pieces
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons oranze zest
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca pearls
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into 8 pieces
- egg, for egg wash (optional)
- raw sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare pie dough, preferably a day ahead.
- In a large bowl add all of the filling ingredients, except the butter. Using a spatula mix the ingredients together, stirring them every 5-10 minutes to make sure the tapioca granules are fully combined,
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Roll out two disks of pie dough. Line a 9" pie with one and place pie filling inside of it. Gently press down on the filling to eliminate any gaps between the fruit.Place the pieces of butter on top of the fruit.
- You can top the pie with a tight lattice, or the rolled out top with a few slits or small shapes stamped out of it.
- Brush the crust with an egg-wash and sprinkle with raw sugar, if desired.
- Bake on the middle lower for 25 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400ºF If the crust is browning cover the out edges with aluminum foil, leaving the middle of the crust exposed. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Move the pie to the upper middle rack for another 10-15 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool about at least an hour, but better for about 6 hours to let the filling set.
- You can substitute the quick cooking tapioca with 1/4 cup cornstarch or flour.
- Store the pie covered, at room temperature for 1 day, and after that store in the refrigerator.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb pie