These Pumpkin Pie Bars will be one of the easiest dishes to put together for your Thanksgiving feast. It features a creamy, rich, pumpkin pie filling, and a fun pumpkin seed shortbread crust; all the flavors of a classic Thanksgiving dessert.
For Pumpkin Seed Shortbread:
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (55 grams) raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (60 grams) powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (112 grams) cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) sour cream
For Pumpkin Pie Bar Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup packed (100 grams) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Pinch cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can 100% pumpkin puree
- ½ cup (115 grams) sour cream
- ½ cup (115 grams) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple Whipped Cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter an 8×8” square baking dish. Cut out a strip of parchment to fit inside the dish with edges hanging over the edge. Stick inside the baking dish and set aside.
- Add the flour, pumpkin seeds, powdered sugar, cinnamon and salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Process for 1 minute until the seeds are a fine powder.
- Add in the butter and pulse 5 times.
- With the motor running add in the sour cream and process until the dough forms together into a cohesive ball around the blade.
- Scrape the dough from the bowl and place it in the prepared baking dish. Press down the dough to an even thickness.
- Bake the shortbread in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool to set.
- Meanwhile, make the pumpkin filling: Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves until fully combined. Then, whisk in pumpkin, sour cream, milk and vanilla extract until combined.
- Gently pour the pumpkin filling on to the shortbread and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the filling is mostly set, but still slightly wobbly in the middle.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Serve with Maple Whipped Cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Keywords: Pumpkin Pie Bars