With a creamy chocolate base and a rich ganache topping, poured inside a salty potato chip crust, this Nutella Pie is the ultimate clash of savory and sweet. If you’re stuck at home, with a hankering for pie and without many fresh ingredients, baking a Quarantine Pie is exactly what you should be doing right now!
For Potato Chip Crust:
- 6 ounces (about 5 ½ cups or 170 grams) kettle cooked potato chips
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (90 grams) unsalted butter
For Nutella Filling:
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) heavy cream, cold
- 6 ounces (170 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Nutella, room temperature
For Ganache Top:
- ⅓ cup (60 grams) dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy cream
- Flaky Sea Salt, for garnish
Prepare Pie Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place oats in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add potato chips and sugar to the bowl and continue to pulse until chips are finely ground.
- Melt butter in a medium pot. Add chip crumbs to the pot and mix together until completely combined.
- Pour the crumbs into the pie plate and start pressing the ingredients up the sides of the pie plate to form the edges first. Once the edges are formed work the crumbs down to evenly distribute into the bottom of the pie plate and pack it down into an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Or you can freeze for 30 minutes for a no-bake pie option.
Make the Filling:
- With an electric mixer using the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl for the electric mixer. Whip on medium speed until completely smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add Nutella. Beat for an additional minute until fully combined.
- Add ⅓ of the whipped cream to the Nutella mixture and fold it in with a rubber spatula by hand until it is completely combined.
- Add the remaining whipped cream to the bowl and gently fold it in, being careful not to deflate it.
- Pour the Nutella filling in the potato chip pie crust and smooth over the top.
- Place in the refrigerator to set up while you make the ganache.
- Add chocolate to a heat proof glass or metal bowl.
- Heat the cream on the stove top (or the microwave) until hot.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate, making sure it is completely submerged. Let the cream sit for 2-4 minutes without disturbing it.
- Gently whisk the cream until it is fully combined and the result is a shiny, silky chocolate ganache.
- Moving quickly, pour the ganache over the nutella filling and shimmy the pie to send the ganache out to the edges of the pastry.
- Transfer pie to the refrigerator (or freezer) for at least 4 hours chilling time, but preferably overnight. Keep the pie refrigerated until ready to serve. Right before serving, sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Keywords: Nutella Pie