Learning how to make a lattice is an essential skill to master for the art of making pies. It may seem intimidating, but it’s quite easy to do! Following these simple directions, you can become an expert in no time!
- Roll out one pie dough to a 12-inch circle. Fit pastry in a 9” pie plate, making sure to press the pastry into the sides and the bottom, tucking in and to form an edge, and crimping if desired. Fill the pie with the desired filling.
- Roll out the second pie dough into a 12-inch circle. Using a ruler and a pastry wheel, cut out 10 1-inch strips, or your desired width and number. (See note about additional lattice options)
- Now it’s time to start the lattice: Place a horizontal piece of dough in the middle of your pie. Place a vertical strip of dough in the middle of the horizontal strip. A ruler will help guide you to the precise middle point.
- Place one horizontal strip above and one below the first horizontal strip. You should now have 3 horizontal dough strips.
- Take the right end of the middle horizontal strip and flip it over itself. Place a vertical strip next to the first vertical strip. Fold the horizontal strip back and over the vertical one. Repeat these steps with the left end of the middle horizontal strip. You should at this point now have weaved in 6 lattice pieces.
- Take the bottom end of the middle vertical strip and flip it over. Place a horizontal strip and place it below the last one. Flip the vertical strip back over the horizontal one. Repeat this with the top end of the middle vertical strip.
- Flip back the left end of the 2nd and 4th horizontal strips. Place the last vertical strip on the left end. Flip over the horizontal strips.
- Repeat these steps with the right end of the 2nd and 4th horizontal strips. You should now have a weaved 10 strips of dough to form your lattice.
- Using this basic formula, you could weave a larger lattice using smaller strips of dough, or even a smaller lattice consisting of 6 larger pieces of dough.
- You can tuck the edges of the lattice underneath the pie if desired. Or drape them over the edge and cut off any excess, and crimp the crust.
- Freeze the lattice pie for 10-20 minutes before baking.
- Bake the pie as directed in the filling recipe.
Leave your chilled pie dough at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to allow it to soften for ease of rolling.
I prefer to have an extra pie dough on hand to have additional lattice strips or to have the freedom to make any designs I’d like. That means making a double batch of the linked pie dough (which will make enough for 4 bottom crusts) and saving any leftover pie dough for another day.
Keywords: How to Make a Lattice