This Apple Crumble Pie starts with a flaky pie crust, filled with juicy cinnamon laced apples and topped with an oat crumble. It’s a classic, and for good reason! Be sure not to skip the step of macerating the apples, for at least 20 minutes. You can let them macerate longer, for a better texture, if time allows. If you do macerate them for longer and you find you have a lot of juice in your bowl, you can strain the juice into a pot and boil it down until it has slightly thickened. This will heighten the apple flavor and ensure you don’t have a thin filling. When you are placing the apple filling in the pie, layer the apples closely together helps prevent the crumb topping from sinking in from shrinkage from the apples.
1-9″ single pie crust, prepared
For Apple Filling:
- 4 lbs. (about 9) baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- ¼ cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (67 g) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8 tablespoon (113 g) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (50 g) white sugar
- ½ cup (110 g) packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (90 g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 424ºF and place oven rack on the second to lowest level.
- To make the filling: Combine the sliced apples and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Add in the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla and mix together. Let sit until the apples have released some of their juices, at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out pie dough to a 13″ circle. Fit pastry in a 9” pie plate, tucking in and crimping the edges as desired. Set in the refrigerator to chill until ready to use.
- To make the crumble topping: Melt butter in a medium pot, then turn off the heat. To the pot add granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon and mix until completely combined.
- To assemble the pie: Place the macerated apple pieces inside of the pie, taking care to layers them together, leaving very little space in between the apple pieces. Pour any remaining apple juices inside of the pie pastry. Place the pieces of butter on top of the filling and then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of the pie.
- Bake the pie on a rimmed baking sheet on the lowest rack for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 400ºF and bake for an additional 45-55 minutes, or until pie filling is bubbling and it’s reached an internal temperature of above 200ºF. If the crust or streusel is browning too quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Let pie cool for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight. Serve at room temperature.
- Use a mix of baking apples, such as gala and Granny Smith.
- Pie can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 1 day. For longer than 1 day, store in the refrigerator.
- Want to make this apple pie without the crumble? Make the recipes as is but top it with another pie crust to make a it a double or lattice crust pie.
Keywords: apple crumble pie