This Whole Wheat Pie Crust recipe is hearty, more nutrient-dense and simple to make. This whole-grain pie dough has a well-rounded flavor perfect for most any savory pie and even some sweet ones. Plus, there is no chilling time needed before rolling out this dough which makes it a great option for quick pies.
- 1–1/2 cup (190 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, cold
- ¼ cup ice water
- Add the whole wheat pastry flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until combined.
- Add in cream cheese and pulse 5 times.
- Add in butter and pulse 7 times.
- With the motor running pour in the water and pulse until the dough forms together into a mostly cohesive ball.
- You can roll the dough immediately, but you must let it chill before baking for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator or 30 minutes in the freezer. Or you can wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it for up to 2 days in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Keywords: Whole Wheat Pie Crust