With all the flavor of that classic southern pie, these Maple Sweet Potato Pie Bars are made easy and with good-for-you ingredients. A creamy, rich, maple sweet potato filling is sandwiched between an oat and pecan crumble. Make it for a potluck dessert, or when you have a craving for sweet potato pie but don’t feel like making an actual pie!
For Oat-Pecan Crumble:
- ½ cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 1–3/4 cups (180 grams) old-fashioned oats, divided
- 1 cup (120 grams) pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed (65 grams) dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes, (about 16 ounces), roasted until tender
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup (100 grams) real maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons packed (25 grams) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cloves
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter a 8” x 8” square baking dish. Cut out a strip of parchment to fit inside the dish with edges hanging over the edge. Stick inside the baking dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium pan and set aside.
- Add 1-½ cups oats to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the oats are finely ground. Add in toasted pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt and pulse until pecans are ground to a coarse pieces. Pour the ground pecan mixture and the remaining ¼ cup of whole oats into the pan with butter and mix together. Wipe out the bowl of the food processor and set aside for use with sweet potato pie filling.
- Place 2 cups of the pecan mixture in the bottom of the baking dish and pat down. Par-bake for crust for 10 minutes. Then set aside until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet potato pie filling: Remove the skin from the roasted sweet potatoes if not already done. Add the sweet potatoes to the now empty bowl of the food processor and processor until smooth. Add in the cream, milk, maple syrup, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and cloves. Processor for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour the batter on top of the oat crust. Sprinkle the remaining oat crumble on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the filling is mostly puffed up and the internal temperature reaches above 180 degrees.
Keywords: Sweet Potato Pie Bars, Sweet Potato Bar