Caramelized onions are bursting with sweet and savory flavor and are a great addition to many recipes or as a condiment.
- 3 large onions (about 3 lbs. onions)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a wide, heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring a few times to make sure all of the onions get contact with the pan and start to soften.
- Add pinch of salt and stir to combine. Lower the heat to medium low and let onions sit undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Continue to cook for 15 more minutes at this point, stirring the pan every 5 minutes for a total of 3 times.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook for about 5 more minutes. This is the point where the onions have the optimum texture and taste.
- If you’d like your onions to be completely reduced and jammy, cook for another 10-15 minutes, but this is optional!
Caramelized onions keep well in the refrigerator for about 5 days or so. They also can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to use defrost overnight.
Keywords: how to make caramelized onions