Homemade Vanilla Pudding is pure comfort food. It’s made using common kitchen ingredients, takes only about 15 minutes to put together and is ridiculously good.
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (30 grams) cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups (680 grams) whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) butter
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in eggs, egg yolks and milk until fully combined.
- Turn on the heat to medium and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, and occasionally taking a spatula and scraping up any thickened pudding in the edges of the pan. Cook until the pudding has completely thickened and large bubbles are forming, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; immediately pour through a fine mesh strainer into bowl, using a spatula to push all the pudding out while leaving behind any bits of cooked egg.
- Whisk the butter and the extract into the pudding until fully combined.
- Pour the pudding into the serving dish or dishes. Let cool at room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Keywords: Vanilla Pudding