This Breakfast Pie starts with a crust made from hash browns and it’s then filled with bacon, peppers, eggs and cheese. It’s hearty, wholesome and delicious! Perfect for a special weekend brunch or meal prep for the week!
To make this as meal prep, properly cool the before before storing in the refrigerator in individual portions. The pie can be heated up either in the microwave or in the toaster oven. It will keep well for about 3-4 days. The potato crust ultimately does not stay crisp on the bottom as a typical pie crust would. But the edges of the potato crust will crisp back up if you reheat in a toaster oven.
- 16 ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 1–½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 6 pieces of bacon, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
To Make Potato Crust:
- Preheat an oven to 400ºF.
- Lightly oil a 9″ pie dish.
- Pour frozen hash browns into the pie dish, and sprinkle with another splash of oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Toss lightly to combine and then bake as is, in the lower rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Using a spoon, carefully form the pie crust by pushing the potatoes up the sides of the pie plate to form the edges. Then, using a spoon push down the potatoes on the bottom of the pie plate until they are nicely compact.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fully cooked through.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add bacon. Cook until the bacon is crispy, about 5-8 minutes. Drain the excess oil, minus 1 teaspoon.
- Add in the onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Add in cheese, chili, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and whisk together. Stir in the bacon mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baked potato crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the eggs are fully set and slightly puffed up, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool 5-10 minute and serve.
- To reheat pie, place in a preheated 350 degree and bake until heated through, about 15-20 minutes.
Keywords: Breakfast Pie, Bacon Egg and Cheese Pie