For Spelt Pie Crust:
- 1–1/2 cup (210 grams) spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) cream cheese
- 10 tablespoons (140 grams) butter
- ¼ cup (60 grams) cold water
For Apple Butter Filling:
- 1-3/4 cups (470 grams) apple butter
- 1 cup (240 grams) heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup packed (100 grams) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground cloves
To Prepare and Blind Bake Pie Crust:
- Add the spelt, turbinado sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking powder to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined. Add in cream cheese and pulse 5 times, then add butter and pulse 7 times. With the motor running pour in the water and pulse until the dough forms together into a mostly cohesive ball.
- Scrape out the pie dough onto a flour dusted work surface and gather the dough together into a disk shape. Roll out the pie dough to an 11″ circle and line a 9” pie plate, crimping the edges as desired. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork to let steam escape during baking. Place the pie in the freezer for 30 minutes to let the pie dough chill.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Remove from freezer and line the pie dough with a parchment round piece of paper and then add pie weights (or dry rice or beans or lentils), making sure to push pie weights to the edges. Bake for 20 minutes on the lower rack, then remove from oven and remove the parchment and pie weights. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use. Lower the oven to 325ºF.
To Make Apple Butter Filling:
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together until fully combined. Carefully pour the filling into the baked pie shell and smooth it over.
- Bake the pie on the middle rack for 45-55 minutes, or until the pie reaches a temperature of 170º-180ºF and the outer edges have started to puff up but the center is still slightly wobbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature before placing in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to finish firming up.
- Serve as is, or with Maple Whipped Cream.
- If desired stamp out any scraps from the spelt pie crust to make decorative leaves, and set aside. Freeze for a few minutes and then bake in the 375ºF oven until fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Once the apple butter pie has finished chilling, place the leaves decoratively over the top of the apple butter custard.
Keywords: Apple butter pie