This Cheeseburger Pie is a new twist on an old American classic. Perfectly seasoned ground beef, smothered in a cheese sauce made with a hidden veggie and baked in a shredded potato crust. Leave the grill out of it; let your oven do all the work for the taste of this backyard cook-out in pie form! This pie can be made ahead of time, and either refrigerated for a brief time, or frozen for a rainy day down the road. To make it from frozen, you’ll want to defrost it overnight in the refrigerator. Once it’s defrosted, you’ll bake as directed but for a longer length of time, until the cheese is bubbling and the middle is hot, about 30-40 minutes. To reheat leftovers, bake in the oven or toaster oven until heated through and the potatoes are crispy on the edges again.
- 16 ounce bag shredded hash browns, frozen
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, dividied
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup (5 ounces) finely diced butternut squash
- 1–1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, very finely diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup beef broth
To Make Potato Crust:
- Preheat an oven to 400ºF.
- Lightly oil a 9″ pie dish.
- Pour frozen hash browns into the pie dish, and sprinkle with oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Toss lightly to combine and then bake as is, in the lower rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Using a spoon, carefully form the pie crust by pushing the potatoes up the sides of the pie plate to form the edges. Then, using a spoon push down the potatoes on the bottom of the pie plate.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fully cooked through.
Make Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce:
- Add milk, butternut squash, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and pepper to a small pot. Cook over medium low heat until the butternut squash is tender, about 10-12 minutes. Watch carefully so the mixture doesn’t boil over.
- Carefully puree squash using an immersion blender or a stand blender (make sure to vent it, and return the mixture to the pot).
- Add the cheese to the hot mixture and whisk together, until fully melted.
Cook Burger Meat:
- Cook ground beef, over medium-high heat, until no longer pink.
- Add onion, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ketchup and mustard and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in cornstarch and stir to combine. Deglaze the pan with the beef broth, and cook for an additional minute. Shut off heat and taste and adjust seasoning.
Assemble and Bake:
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to the potato crust then pour over the cheese sauce. Smooth the top, and sprinkle with additional shredded cheddar, if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melty.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with all of your favorite burger toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, crispy bacon, pickles, ketchup and mustard.
- You could alternatively swap out cauliflower for the butternut squash in equal parts.
Keywords: Cheeseburger Pie