This taco pie is a cross between a classic American style taco and a tamale. The beef mixture is lightly spiced and baked inside a masa crust that is flavorful and soft. Garnish with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy your next taco Tuesday first!
- 1–1/2 cups masarepa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee, softened
- 2 cups hot water
For Beef Mixture:
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 teaspon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstrach
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup beef broth or water
- ½ cup refried beans
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato,
- shredded cheese
- pickled jalapenos
- black olives
To make the masa crust:
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- In a bowl mix together masa, salt, garlic powder, and cumin until combined. Add in the butter and pour the hot water on top.
- Mix together until it is fully combined, making sure to hydrate all of the masa. It should be the consistency of playdough. It should be soft, but it shouldn’t be so wet that it sticks to your fingers. If for any reason the dough is too wet, add in a tablespoon more of masa at a time until it has reached a soft non-stick batter.
- Pat into a 9″ pan in an even layer. Crimp the edges if desired. Dock the crust on the bottom and the edges with a fork to let the steam escape and to prevent the dough from puffing up.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
For the beef filling:
- In oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook through, about 8 minutes.
- Add spices, cornstarch and tomato paste and cook until toasted, about 30 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with beef broth and cook for 3 more minutes, or until the beef mixture is very slightly thickened.
To assemble and bake:
- Spread the refried beans in the bottom of the baked crust, next add the cooked beef, then the salsa and finally top with the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. If desired you can broil the cheese at the end.
Serve hot with your favorite taco toppings!
- If you are using masa harina (vs. masarepa) add 1-1/2 cups of water to start. You can adjust the water or the masa to get the right consistency.
Keywords: beef taco pie